In order to properly market your show, you will need to put together a tour pack containing relevant information. This gives your potential venues all the information they need about your show. This is the first introduction to your show so it must professionally made.
The tour pack should include:
- Details about the show, such as plot, themes, target audience, etc
- Information about the touring company, including cast biographies
- Professionally shot images and video of the show
- Audience feedback
- Links to relevant websites and video clips
- Technical rider
- Ticket information
- News articles or reviews on the show
For Internal Marketing:
- Create and print posters and fliers for the show
- Write copy for the show
- Create an online publicity campaign via social media channels
- Call the marketing departments of the venues and introduce the show to them. Deliver posters, fliers and copy to them
For External Marketing:
- Write a press release
- Contact local newspapers, online magazines and entertainment bloggers to introduce the show and present it for a news feature
There are various ways to market your show and you can choose the most appropriate channels to reach your target audience. For instance social media promotion is well suited for a younger audience.
Now that you have gone through the various stages in preparation for your tour, it is time to get your show on the road!
Refer to our touring checklist below to track your progress in preparing to tour your own show!
Accra to the World: How to Tour a Theatre Production in Ghana" is supported by the British Council Cultural Exchange programme, which supports cultural organisations, festivals, artists, and creatives between the countries of SSA* and the UK to create art, build networks, collaborate and develop markets and share artists’ work with audiences.